27/03/2012

Haru*Hana Japanese magazine Vol. 11 - Interview with IU

(Note: I'm guessing this interview took place around the time IU went for Tokyo Girls' Collection in Japan, or possibly even earlier.)

See more magazine scans here

Purchase here

Posted Image

On debuting in Japan

"I'm really looking forward to my Japan debut. On the other hand, I haven't adapted to the Japanese way of doing things yet, so I'm feeling apprehensive too, but I think it'll be fine (Laughs). Although I've just started my promotional activities in Japan, the sound system and facilities in Japan are really great, so I would really like to perform on stage. Besides, I would like to give it a shot on variety shows too. I learned something called 'Tsukkomi' recently, so I would definitely like to show that on broadcasts (Laughs)." (Note: Google/wikipedia says... In Japanese stand-up comedy, 'Tsukkomi' is something like 'butt in', usually to make fun of, correct, or point out the accidental or intentional mistake or gag of others, mostly in a joking manner.)



"About the Japan showcase..."

There were many among the audience who were about my age, which surprised me greatly. In Korea, there is an overwhelming proportion of male fans. For example at fansigns, 9 out of 10 would be male fans, so I'm glad that I have many female fans here. Japanese girls' eye makeup! is so adorable too. (Note: The exclamation mark is supposed to be there.)


"My favourite line in the ‘Good Day (Japanese version)’ is 'don’t make me cry on a day like this'. For young girls, it may sound cute (Laughs) when they blurt out such words, but it’s tormenting for guys. That’s the part of the song I like.

I hope lots of girls listen to this song. In particular, if someone you like is a girl. Instead of confessing your feelings to her, sing this song for her in a karaoke room.



Posted Image


Is there any Japanese singer you would like to do a collaboration with?

Yui Arakagi. I would like to meet her just once in real life. Since she's adorable. As for males, Koike Teppei. I got to know about him through "Gokusen". (Note: He appeared in the movie and in Part 2 of the drama trilogy) I thought he was really cute (Laughs). As for singers, Nakashima Mika and Utada Hikaru.


When did you decide to start doing music?

I've always been in a musical environment, so when I realised that, I came to like it.


How did you feel when you debuted in your 3rd of middle school?

It felt amazing to see the celebrities I watched on TV right in front of my eyes (Laughs). (Extra info: During IU's Mia debut stage on Mcountdown (080918), TVXQ was promoting Mirotic and SHINee won with Love Like Oxygen XD Kpop history lesson ends here.)


Recently, have you had any thoughts that you've changed?

Regarding my performances, since my dancing wasn't improving much, I had more practice with stage expressions than before. Recently, (since I got used to it) so I'm having more fun on stage.


Although you're known as the "nation's little sister", are you the 'little sister' type in reality?

Rather than a good little sister, I'm more of a mischievous little sister. I think I'm the kind of little sister that fights with you and talks back.


Your cooking speciality?

Kimchi fried rice.


Posted Image


Any favourite (Japanese) phrases?

In Japan, I was surprised to hear phrases like 'hiyoko' (meaning chicks/chickens), 'wanpaku' (meaning mischievous kid) and 'moemoe' (pronounced like moh-eh moh-eh, a Japanese slang term for the feelings people have for pretty girls, like anime characters). In Korea, 'pub' means 'rice' (pab) (Laughs). (Note: 'Pubs' are called 술집 or sul-jib in Korea instead, like drinking house literally. Ahh too many brackets and quote marks here! -runs away-) Also, a phrase I learnt recently, 'yoidehanaika' (Note: Sorry I searched the dictionary and google for 'ヨイデハナイカ', but couldn't find out what it means).


What happens when you’re angry?

Someone gets bashed! But I’m not the type to get too angry. Since I myself can’t even remember the last time I was angry (Laughs)


The time of the day that you like best?

Dusk. That's because it's when the busiest part of the day is over and all the commotion dies down to a peaceful stillness.


What's good about being born as a girl?

There's a lot of advantages to that. Getting closer to male celebrities. Putting on make-up or wearing nice clothes and undergoing a transformation.


When is IU's Good Day?

When something comes up on a day that I have no schedules. I prefer working to spending my time leisurely.


Among all your songs, which is your favourite?

It's Good Day. As a singer, this song has been the most well-received by everyone.


Credits to squishyblob @ weheartiu Read more

0 comments:

Post a Comment